Since my last parent update on Friday, there have been announcements in the media over the weekend.
The school is following official advice at all times. As you can imagine this advice constantly changes since the situation is evolving.
On Sunday 15 March, the Prime Minister introduced measures placed on international arrivals into Australia. This means a mandatory 14 day self-isolation requirement will be placed on all international arrivals into Australia effective from midnight last night.
Therefore, all students now returning from international travel must self-isolate regardless of which country they have visited.
As you would be aware, the Australian Government also announced that all organised, non-essential mass gatherings attended by more than 500 people must be cancelled from today.
The announcement was very clear this does not apply to schools, and that there is no need for school closures.
It does however include activities such as school balls, assemblies, concerts and the like where they involve more than 500 people.
In light of this we have reviewed our activity schedule to minimise the need for large gatherings and postpone or cancel any that meet these criteria.
Schools with more than 500 students, are advised to cease full school assemblies, and arrange staggered lunch breaks and reschedule other large in-school student gatherings and events.
There are 360 students on our main site, but at community events such as assemblies and carnivals the number could reach close to 500.
Bearing in mind the above information, we have cancelled the following school-organised upcoming events:
School swimming carnival on 23 March
Assembly on 27 March
ANZAC service on 9 April
Additionally, the following inter-school events have been changed by Melville Districts:
Inter-school cricket carnival on 3 April – postponed
Inter-school swimming carnival on 8 April – cancelled
The P&C has also been in discussion with me and has decided to postpone until further notice their two upcoming events:
DoRKS camp on 21 and 22 March
P&C sundowner on 3 April
If a WA school has to close due to a confirmed case, it will be on advice from the WA Health Department’s Chief Health Officer. There is today no update on school closures. Please see my last blog for information on this.
I will continue to update my blog as information comes to hand. Thank you for the strong support the school has received from the community.