The School Board looks to work with the Principal to help deliver the best quality educational experience for our children.
We call for new members at the beginning of each new school year. We welcome new ideas and suggestions. Please see the 2020 nomination form on the adjacent tab.
WHAT THE BOARD DOES
The board helps the school deliver a quality education experience for our children by:
- Deciding the school dress code
- Deciding the school policy on the provision of religious education
- Liaising on the setting of student free day dates
- Periodically reviewing the budget of the school
- Reviewing the school’s performance with reference to school and system data
- Providing input on parent perspectives
- Promoting the school within the community
- Promoting the School Board within the parent community
WHAT WE DON’T DO
The School Education Act specifically prevents the School Board from getting involved in the day to day management and/or control of the school. The School Board has an advisory/strategic role.
Examples of things that the School Board cannot do:
- Direct the Principal
- Make operational decisions for the school
- Employ Staff
- Manage Class Placements
- Intervene in disputes
- Raise funds
The School Board is different from the P&C.
SOME OF OUR RECENT PROJECTS
The Board works hard to develop projects that create the best possible environment for our children. Projects include:
- Review of the school budget
- Review of parent satisfaction surveys
- Review of school data
- Development of an induction process for new School Board members
- Updating the development plan for the Richmond Primary School Board
- Sign off of chaplaincy review and support of chaplaincy program
- Review deeds of licence for out of hours use of school premises by third parties – currently OSHClub; Marshalls Tennis and East Fremantle Football club
- Review of school behaviour management policy
- Review and setting of school dress code
- Updating the Board Code of Conduct
- Developing the parent talent pool program
- Liaison on student free day dates
- Conducting a Board skills audit
ABOUT THE SCHOOL BOARD
The School Board is governed by the School Education Act and Regulations and its terms of reference.
The School Board currently has provision for 9 members: 7 Parent Reps and 2 Staff Reps including principal.
2020 SCHOOL BOARD REPRESENTATIVES
Lisa Dentith, Michelle Gorringe
Matthew Rose (vice chair); Madeleine Cox (secretary), Lacey Filipich, Kate Grieve, James Hepworth, Richard Keamy.
EXPECTATIONS OF THE BOARD
The Board meets formally once a term.
There may also be occasional ad hoc meetings with the School Board.
School Board members are required to comply with Board Code of Conduct and the Terms of Reference and have a criminal record clearance.
Tenure of School Board membership is one year. At the end of each year all positions are declared vacant and early the following year the principal calls for nominations. In the event that there are more nominations than positions, the principal will conduct an election. All parents of students enrolled at Richmond in that year are eligible to vote. The positions of chair and secretary are self nominated and elected by Board members.
Nominations are now called for 2021 – see online form on this tab