Richmond Primary School opened on March 21st, 1921, when 85 children were enrolled. These were children up to ten years of age, and classes went to year 4. Children came from four schools, East Fremantle, Intermediate, Private and Convent.
The official opening took place later and is recorded as follows:
“The ceremonial opening of the school took place today (11th April) at 3pm, about 150 people were present. The function was performed by the Hon. The Premier (Sir James Mitchell) assisted by the Director (Mr. Cecil Andrews) the Chief Inspector, (Mr. R. Hope-Robertson), Mr W. C. Angwin, M.L.A., Mr F. Gibson, M.L.A., Mr. Baglin, M.L.C., the Mayor and Councillors of East Fremantle, and several other distinguished residents. Mr. Senior Inspector Klein occupied the chair and took charge of most successful proceedings.
The two school choirs from Princess May and North Fremantle, under the batons of Miss Brockway and Mr. Nadebaum gave some exquisite musical items. Speeches were made by the Premier, the Director and the District Member, Mr. Angwin. After the ceremony was over the local ladies provided afternoon tea. The whole function was a great success.”
From the original enrolment of 85, numbers increased gradually over the years to reach a peak in August 1954 of 592 students. Since then numbers declined to 400 and have risen in recent years to around 430 today. Records show that in March 1926 there were 80 year one students crowded into one classroom!